Top 20 Best Practices in IT Frameworks


What can IT do today to gather new metrics, revise outdated processes, and add the best value to support the business while simultaneously reducing waste and costs? Among the hundreds of best practices listicles, we discovered and compiled what we found to be the most important top twenty practices IT should adopt, these work for both larger and smaller businesses alike.


  1. Implement data center automation to reduce operating costs

  2. Install the current generation of service-desk tools keep IT support costs down.

  3. Give IT leaders dual roles as business relationship managers and IT activity managers.

  4. Hire the right people: you need a team that is capable of executing your project plan

  5. Remember the 80/20 Rule: Your processes only fit 80% or so of the situations that you encounter, so its critical to consider how to manage the other 20%

  6. Implement ITIL, but don’t just implement ITIL, customize it and provide service management

  7. Maintain Core Competencies: Ensure IT Project Managers are up to date on essential PM knowledge areas

  8. Develop a standard process, and reinforce it continuously

  9. Keep selective outsourcing options on the table that may lower costs and improve IT.

  10. Embark on application rationalization to help IT shed duplicate applications and infrastructure.

  11. Get improved data on application resource usage so you can make better use of maintenance staff.

  12. Use application portfolio management (APM) tools to develop metrics to drive maintenance effort and cost reductions.

  13. Use software change and configuration management tools and processes to reduce outages.

  14. Undertake IT asset management initiatives to optimize usage of software and hardware.

  15. Install the current generation of service-desk tools keep IT support costs down.

  16. Employ enterprise architecture groups to drive standardization of the software portfolio.

  17. Use your vendor and contract management teams to squeeze more value from vendors.

  18. Utilize contract life-cycle management tools to help optimize the savings from supplier contracts.

  19. Use formalized and aggressive IT sourcing practices to cut ongoing depreciation and maintenance fees.

  20. Communicate openly and clearly, don’t just rely on technology to gain a competitive advantage


To learn more about Best Practices in IT Frameworks, tune into our free hour-long webinar led by one of the leading experts in the field, Nasser El-Batal. Save your spot on Thursday December 20th, 2016 from 1pm-12m [EST, USA] by clicking here:

Leave A Reply