This course surveys the major financial instruments traded in capital markets around the world. Understand how stocks are valued. Learn how stocks and bonds are brought to market. Understand the basic mechanics and risks characteristics of derivatives.
- Trading and sales support personnel, regulators, compliance staff, financial journalists, anyone seeking a through grounding in capital markets and products.
At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Read bond and equity listings and decide whether the deals worked well for the parties involved
- Choose the best derivative to hedge against risk in real-life financial situations
- Calculate the profit or loss on futures trades
- Construct a swap and calculate the benefit of the swap to each counterparty
- Invest the money held by a pension fund both geographically and by asset class
- Describe the role of equity from both the issuers and investors perspectives
- Describe the main methods used in equity valuation
- Explain the major steps in the IPO process
- Identify the key participants in the IPO process
- Capital Markets 101: Market Structure, Products and Regulatory Trends